Saturday 14 September 2013

Unearthly - Cynthia Hand

A Spoiler Free Bit About the Book

'Unearthly' follows Clara, a sixteen year old part angel who's just started to uncover her 'purpose' - what she was put on the earth to do.  She knows there's a forest fire and boy and at the beginning that's all she knows.


My Review

I knew as I read the blurb of 'Unearthly' that it had the potential to be a book I could really get into.  That and the fact that my friend leant it to me to read.  This feeling intensified as I read the first chapter.  I knew for certain that this book could go one of two ways.  I would love it or hate it.  It was the former, I adored it and devoured it.

The only thing that I didn't like was at first the present tense caught me out.  Not just on the first few sentences.  For some reason it was repeatedly during the first chapter and it was beginning to annoy me.  I got past it though and then I was free.

I even liked the prologue.  Now I'm not usually one for prologues.  I don't like them.  When I pick up a new book I just want to dive straight in, not faff around somewhere irrelevant - at least for the moment.  But 'Unearthly's prologue was short and just from reading the blurb I understood its importance, which satisfied me.  It was very effective.

I was also very grateful that Hand trickled information about angel-bloods though the novel at a natural pace.  None of the information felt rushed and I was given enough gap between each thing that I could fully wrap my head around it and understand it.  We learn information as Clara does which helps the information stream seem natural.  It also makes it so much easier to sink into the angel world as though it's real and is completely logical.

While we're on Clara, she was a great protagonist.  She was believable as a regular sixteen year old girl and also as an angel-blood.  Nothing she did was ridiculous or so over the top it was unbelievable.  I found her very relatable.  She thought and felt what anyone would think and feel in her situation.

The other characters surrounding Clara and shaping her world were also very believable and relatable.  I didn't think they were stereotypes or irritating.  I liked them all and found them all charming in their own ways.  They were also diverse enough that I could almost see their part in the novel revolving around them.  Speaking of this, I was thrilled that all the characters' presence in the book was directly linked to their importance and relevance.  I didn't have to hear loads about a character with minimal role, which pleased me to no end as sometimes I feel there are too many characters to worry about.  In 'Unearthly' I was glad to only have to care and connect with the main, important ones.

The chapter names were a breath of fresh air.  They weren't arty or cryptic or clever.  They were simply describing the chapter.  It might be one word or a phrase that sums up the chapter in a completely human way.  It actually helped me to distinguish between the chapters.

Now for the 'impossible choice'.  So many novels, especially teenage fiction, have - or claim to have - an 'impossible choice'.  Usually I'm disappointed as there's only one real choice or the right choice is so obvious it's boring.  Or it's just clear which one the protagonist will choose.  Well, in 'Unearthly' I was pleasantly surprised.  I felt that the decision was difficult enough to be classed as 'impossible'.  So much so, I didn't know what Clara would pick, or indeed what I would pick in that situation.  It was intense, I'll give you that much.


Evaluation

Plot Idea - 6/10 - angels, I remember thinking to myself.  It's been done and I've read it.  How different can this one be?

Way Plot Was Pursued - 8/10 - Clara's 'purpose' really gave this story its originality.  I also enjoyed that she was the powerful one and that she was free to make her own decision.

Characters - 10/10 - all so diverse and charming.  I can't fault them.

Style - 9/10 - I loved Clara as a narrator.  I loved the way she mulled things over.

Pace - 8/10 - I always knew where we were going but at some points I felt like I had to take a stroll to read it.  A pleasant pretty stroll, but one nonetheless.


Would I recommend it? - Oh God, yes.  I couldn't put this book down.

Would I look up the author? - Yes.  Having being leant 'Hallowed', the sequel, I picked it straight up.  Yes please. 


'Unearthly' surpassed my expectations by miles and miles and miles.


Any novels that have surprised you?  I'd love to know!

Molly Looby
Author / Wrimo / Editor / Reviewer / Writing Coach / ZA Ready

Contact me about writing, books, vampires, zombies, werewolves and the like here: molly.looby@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment