Tuesday 3 June 2014

Brilliant Week Featuring The #MovellasMeetUp

Last week I had a very interesting week.  Interesting enough that I can write a whole post about it!

First of of all on Wednesday, I was offered the ghostwriting position I'd been interviewed for!  This really kicked off the awesome week I had.  I had finally been noticed as a writer, as a good writer and now I have a freelance position to prove it.  I am, at long last, being paid to do what I love.  It may not be writing my own books, but this is almost as fun because it's writing without any of the writers' block!  I am so thrilled.  I really can't get that across in a blog post but I am.  I am so happy.  Things are looking up for my writing career.  I told you 2014 was going to be good.

Then on Thursday I found myself in London near the old Movellas headquarters to have coffee with an agent I've been emailing and sending work for . . . I don't know, well over a year that's for sure.  He recognised my interest in the publishing industry and wanted to tell me about being an agent and explain the publishing industry from his perspective.  It was a very interesting conversation though I mainly listened.  It was very eye opening and I walked away with a copy of The Bookseller, The Author (Journal of the Society of Authors) and From Pitch to Publication by Carole Blake so I was more than happy.

The next day I found myself in London again.  My incredibly talented arty boyfriend took me to the Tate Modern, amazed that I'd never been to an art gallery before.  I mostly walked around making incredibly unsophisticated comments, having no idea what I was looking at, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.



There we are outside the Globe.  I'd never seen that before either!

After the Tate Modern, we made our way to Soho for the Movellas Meet Up.  Unfortunately, my internet service disappeared and we had no way of knowing how to get there.  I had to phone my dad who had to instruct us over the phone.  I don't know how, but we got there.

I had a great chat with the lovely Eva and Yvonne and I also met Joe for the first time.  The new Soho office was beautiful and in an amazing location.  There was so much going on just outside the windows, the hustle and bustle of London never stops.

I got to see some of the users in real life which was bizarre.  The best part, of course, was the table filled with books!  We each got to take a Movellas tote bag and whatever books took our fancy.  Of course, almost all of them took my fancy.


Everyone else seemed to take maybe three or four but I had no shame filling my bag all the way to the top.  I couldn't be happier with my spoils!


I can't wait to read them all!  Although it might take me a long time to get round to it.  My bookshelf is getting pretty full, as my #Shelfie for Movellas showed everyone!



 I also can't wait for all the cool new stuff Movellas is going to be up to.  Or putting my new agent knowledge to use when I next send a submission out.  Or my new job as a freelance ghostwriter!

What a week!

Molly Looby
Author / Ghostwriter / Blogger / Reviewer / Wrimo / Movellian / ZA Ready

2 comments:

  1. I so wanted to go to that but I like in the US and couldn't make it, but I've been talking to someone from there and she email to the postcards that was handed out. Looks like you got some great books and hopeful you learned a lot. I like your blog by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Sorry for the late reply, I've only just seen the comment! I'm glad you like my blog :)

      Delete